Thứ Hai, 28 tháng 3, 2011

Tutorial: Flowers Make Me Melt

This is super simple and fun to make. 


Supplies-


  • A scrap of polyester fabric.  Look at the label on the end of the bolt.  It will tell you the fiber content of the material.  I only bought 100% polyester.  There was cotton/poly, but I didn't want to take the chances of starting a fire.  I like to shop the remnant section.  The fabric is usually marked down to half price because it was the end of the bolt.

  • Candle and matches.  I used a tea light and set it inside a pie tin.  I also did my melting in the kitchen by the sink in case of any mishaps. 
  • A clothespin.  I used this to hold my fabric over the flame.
  • Needle and Thread.  I used a neutral colored thread, but any color you want is fine.  The stiches are so small you will hardly be able to see the thread.
  • Some kind of hair pin.  I used a bobby pin for my flower, but I have also glued them to other kinds of hair pins.  Use the one you like best.    You can also attached it to a pin back.  If you are gluing it, I would recommend using a strong adhesive like E6000. 
  • Small button or bead/glittery thing.  This is optional, but it adds a nice touch to the center of your flower.  I liked it with or with out.
 Trace and cut out several different size cirlces on your fabric.  5-7 circles depending on what you like.  Melt then and then you can decide how many you want to use.  I drew my circles with a pencil, but it doesn't really matter becuse you will be melting the edges.  Your circle also doesn't have to be perfect because it will warp when you melt it. 
Use your clothespin to hold it over the flame.  Slowly turn it so the entire edge of the circle gets melted.  You will have to adjust it in the clothespin to get to all the edges.  It will start to crinkle up as the heat hits it.  Repeat with all the circles.  Be careful and don't burn yourself.  Sometimes the fabric can get hot. 
Take your melted circles and stack them.  They are cute centered or off center.  Use your needle and thread to stitch them together.  I made a tiny x like stitch.
I attached a small button while I was stitching the circles together.  I decided to use a bobby pin on this flower and just stiched it around the upper bar.  I looped it several times and actually tied my knots on top of the flower under the button.  You can add a dab of clear nail polish to your knots if you are worried about them coming undone.  Be careful not to touch the fabric with the nail polish, it will leave a spot.
 There you have it!  Go and make a ton of flowers!!!
I thought it would be good to have a picture with it in use, but Tess wouldn't wear it for me.  I commissioned Davis to take my photo.  It took 7 tries to get most of my face in the frame.  Then I noticed my hair was messy in the back, but it wasn't worth trying again. 
In high school I once went an entire month with out brushing my hair (I still washed it).  I am totally not fancy and am nervous about wearing this in my hair (even though I totally LOVE IT).  I have tried a few times to wear things I have made, but always seem to get a funny comment from somebody (mostly men at church...weird).  After said comment I have been too self conscious to try it again.  Oh well, since when do I care?  I think I will try this flower pin again for Thanksgiving dinner.  It will dress up my jeans and sweater.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét